Can Hamsters Eat Daffodils? A Guide to Which Animals Can Eat Daffodils

daffodils eating plant

Daffodils look lovely and signify the start of spring and brighter weather and warmer days.

But do they taste equally nice?!

We all know animals are inquisitive at the best of times, so can hamsters eat daffodils?

In fact, can cats and dogs eat daffodils?

Here we look at a variety of animals and whether we should worry if they eat any part of a daffodil.

So let’s get started.

Can Hamsters Eat Daffodils? 

All parts of a daffodil are toxic to hamsters, this includes the flowers, stem and bulb.

In fact, all flowers with bulbs are potentially poisonous for hamsters, this includes plants such as bluebells, tulips, orchids and more.

Consumption in small doses can result in appetite loss (hamsters cannot truly vomit), whereas consumption of daffodils in large amounts can have serious effects on a hamster’s heart.

So we know hamsters shouldn’t eat daffodils, but how about some other animals?

Can Bearded Dragons Eat Daffodils? 

Daffodils and all other bulb plants are poisonous to bearded dragons and should be avoided.

The toxins in a daffodil could cause serious long-term health problems, or even death in bearded dragons.

Other common plants that are toxic to bearded dragons include oak, poppy, holly, crocus, buttercup and bracken fern.

Can Birds Eat Daffodils?

The chemical lycorine that is contained in daffodils is highly toxic, and means they should be kept away from all birds.

It can cause gastrointestinal upset and seizures in birds depending upon the amount ingested.

Can Cats Eat Daffodils?

Black and white cat on seat

Daffodils are toxic to cats. The entire plant is poisonous thanks to the presence of an alkaloid called lycorine.

Toxicity fluctuates between mild and moderate, but lycorine is present at the highest levels in the bulb so that is particularly toxic.

If your cat consumes any part of a daffodil it may experience skin irritation, drooling and breathing problems.

Can Chickens Eat Daffodils?

Chickens should steer clear of daffodils as they are poisonous to them.

The good news is, chickens are generally known to steer clear of them and should not try to eat them when they are in flower.

A number of plants can safely be grown as they are good for chickens. These include lavender, fennel, thyme, sunflowers, nasturtium and many herbs.

RELATED ===> Can Birds Spread Daffodils?

Can Cows Eat Daffodils?

Daffodils are toxic to cows, and cattle have been known to die from daffodil poisoning when they have been fed daffodil bulbs by mistake.

Generally, cows will know to steer clear of daffodils and will avoid eating them, but if they do the lycorine that is found throughout the plant is toxic to them.

Can Deer Eat Daffodils?

The lycorine that is in daffodils tastes bad, smells nasty and causes stomach upset for deers. They cannot eat them.

Daffodils actually work as an effective deer deterrent if you want to stop them from visiting your garden.

Deers will eat lots of flowers but have learned daffodils are poisonous and have no benefit for them and will leave them alone.

Can Dogs Eat Daffodils?

Dog with plants

Dogs should not eat daffodils, as they can poison them.

The chemicals in daffodils can make a dog seriously sick. They can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, breathing problems and abdominal pain.

All parts of a daffodil are toxic to dogs, with the bulb posing the biggest risk as it contains higher concentrations of the toxic chemical lycorine.

You should take great care of your dog around daffodils, the dust from the bulbs is dangerous when inhaled by dogs and even allowing your dog to drink water from a vase that has had daffodils inside it can cause illness.

Can Goats Eat Daffodils?

Daffodils, in common with most other bulbous plants are not safe for goats to eat.

The alkaloid lycorine that is contained within daffodils is toxic to goats and can cause stomach upset and breathing problems.

Goats tend to instinctively know that daffodils are bad for them, however, a hungry goat will attempt to eat anything to satiate its need for food.

But as long as a goat has plenty of other non-toxic plants to eat, then they will leave daffodils alone.

RELATED ===> Why Do Daffodils Smell Like Urine?

Can Guinea Pigs Eat Daffodils?

Daffodils are toxic to guinea pigs, so you should keep them, and any bulb plant, away from your pet.

If a guinea pig eats a fair amount of flowers, the stem or the bulb it could be critical and lead to severe illness.

However, if they just munch on a few leaves, it should not pose too much of a problem although you are advised to keep a close eye on them for the next 24 to 48 hours.

Other plants that are toxic to guinea pigs include sunflowers, nasturtiums, yarrow, asters and mallow.

Can Horses Eat Daffodils?

Daffodils can make horses seriously ill if eaten in large amounts. This is due to the lycorine contained in all parts of the plant.

Lycorine is toxic to horses and can cause heart issues, stomach upset and diarrhea.

It would take a lot of daffodils to make a horse seriously ill, and the plant is not particularly palatable to horses so they will avoid them. 

As long as there is grass for a horse to chew on they shouldn’t pay attention to daffodils.

Can Pigs Eat Daffodils?

All members of the daffodil family are toxic to pigs.

They contain a chemical called lycorine that can cause drooling, vomiting and breathing abnormalities.

Pigs are highly intelligent animals and have learned that daffodils are not good for them and should avoid them unless they are extremely hungry.

Can Rabbits Eat Daffodils? 

The flower, leaves, stem and bulb of a daffodil are toxic to rabbits and should be avoided.

The good news is rabbits don’t like them as they have a strong, bitter taste that deters them.

That is why rabbits often attack tulips, but leave daffodils alone. You should remember however that all bulb flowers are toxic to rabbits.

RELATED ===> What is the Difference Between Daffodils And Buttercups?

Can Sheep Eat Daffodils?

Sheep know to avoid daffodils as the cheery plant is poisonous to them.

All parts of the daffodil are toxic, but you will rarely if ever see sheep eating them.

If they do consume large quantities of daffodils, it can be fatal.

Can Squirrels Eat Daffodils?

Daffodils are poisonous to squirrels and the critters seem to know this as they will give them a wide berth, making daffodils a good choice if you want to squirrel-proof your garden!

Whilst squirrels love some bulb plants, such as crocus and tulips, daffodils are not desirable at all to them.

They don’t like the taste and know that the chemicals contain in daffodils are toxic to them.

Can Tortoises Eat Daffodils?

The alkaloid lycorine that is contained in all parts of a daffodil is toxic to tortoises.

It can cause vomiting, diarrhea and breathing irregularities.

Whilst your tortoise might be able to handle a few mouthfuls of daffodil leaves, the plant is on the do not feed list for tortoises so should be avoided.

Final Thoughts

If you have scanned through this list you can see that daffodils are poisonous to pretty much all animals.

This is down to lycorine, a chemical found in all parts of a daffodil that can cause numerous issues for animals (and humans).

These include nausea, drooling, diarrhea, vomiting, abnormalities in the heart rate, breathing problems and abdominal pain.

As mentioned lycorine is found in all parts of a daffodil, but is more highly concentrated in the bulb, making this the most dangerous part of a daffodil if ingested by an animal.

Many wild animals such as deer, squirrels and sheep know not to eat daffodils and are deterred by their unpleasant scent.

If your pet only gets a quick nibble on a leaf or two don’t worry too much, they most likely will be fine, just keep a close eye on them over the next few hours. 

If you suspect they have ingested a large number of daffodils, including the bulb, then you are advised to contact a vet before symptoms possibly develop.

Spread the love

Leave a Comment